Professional Engineer (PE) – Licensure Overview
APPLICATION & INSTRUCTIONS
NOTE: Offering to perform, contracting for or initiating engineering services prior to the applicant or his firm becoming licensed may be a violation of the Board’s Laws and Rules. If a violation occurs it could subject the applicant to disciplinary action (Article 14 of the AR State Laws & Rules of the Board eff. September 1, 2020).
Which license do you seek?
- Comity License – An Arkansas license based upon a current license in another state. Applicants for Comity may be reviewed by the Board Members at an upcoming meeting.
- Original License – This will be your first license, you will take the Principles and Practice of Engineering (P&PE) Exam and your application will be reviewed by the Board Members during a Board meeting.
Meetings are held in January, March May, July, September and November.
How to apply – Online or Paper
- Online: Apply for a License Online | Online Application Instructions. Complete the online application, forward your verification(s) and reference forms to the appropriate parties, and pay your fees. If you have an NCEES council record, the instructions outline which forms we will accept from your record:
- Paper: Paper Application and Instructions Word | PDF Payment must accompany your paper application. Applications will be returned if these instructions are not followed.
Fees – Are non-refundable unless waived by Board action and must be received before the application will be reviewed:
- Comity License – $200.00
- Original License – $ 75.00 and after approval;
- PE exam fee(s).
Payment – how you pay is based upon how you applied:
- Online: credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) or e-check.
- Paper: check (personal, company or bank) or money order payable to PELS Board.
Application Status – Your application will be “Incomplete” until the submitted information has been verified.
Upon successful verification, the application will be reviewed and you’ll receive an email regarding the decision to:
- Conditionally License – applications that meet the Board’s current rules for original licensure may be approved by the Executive Director using an expedited process. Those that are “conditionally licensed” are subject to ratification at the next Board meeting. This type of approval is reserved for those with qualifications which meet NCEES “Model Law Engineer” (MLE see www.NCEES.org for more information) requirements.For license
- Place on the next Board meeting agenda – After the Board meeting these applicants will receive a letter stating the outcome of the Board’s decision.
- Comity applicants who do not meet NCEES MLE requirements (NON-MLE) are placed on the agenda of the next Board meeting and mailed 3 weeks prior.
- Original applicants.
Examinations – Most exams are given in APRIL and OCTOBER. Any application completed AFTER the following deadlines will be retained until the next testing date.
- APRIL – The application must be completed by JANUARY 1st.
- OCTOBER – The application must be complete by JULY 1st.