Surveyor Information 

Intern | Professional | Certificate of Authorization

The Board issues and maintains licenses for Surveyor Interns (SI), Professional Surveyors (PS), and Certificate of Authorization (COA) licenses.

If you need verification of your Arkansas license or examinations for another jurisdiction you're applying to, it may be possible to do it in an expedited manner electronically by visiting NCEES License/Exam Verification. If the state is listed, select that state and supply the requested information.  If it's not listed, please complete their form and forward to the Board's office via email, fax, or USPS.

Applications may be submitted by Applying for a License ONLINE or by hard-copy.  You will be required to obtain and submit various documents to the Board so your qualifications may be reviewed.  

The Board has VERY precise education/experience requirements for which are outlined in Article 8 D/E.  Please review these carefully.

Renewals – All licenses below are renewed every two (2) years. The Board encourages online renewal of licenses but a paper renewal form may be submitted instead. The online renewal feature is located on the home page and the forms can be retrieved from the Applications & Forms, Other Engineer Forms link at the top of the page.  Professional licensees report continuing education hours when renewing. Please visit Article 20 of the Board’s Rules for additional information. 

What follows is general information on how to obtain each type of surveying license.  Additional information may be found in the Board’s Rules by clicking Rules/Regs/Standards” on the navigation bar above.

Surveyor Intern (SI)

Qualifications as outlined in Article 8.D of the Rules - Until January 1, 2017, an applicant for an SI license must supply proof of: graduation from an approved curriculum (8.D.1.); OR four, or more, years of experience (8.D.2.).  Additionally you must have passed the Fundamentals of Surveying (FS).  Once the Board verifies this information, a Surveyor Intern license* may be issued.  No prior authorization is required to take the FS exam. 

*Regarding the submission of an application for licensure: For those graduating from an approved curriculum, apply after passing the exam.  If you're qualifying by experience, we strongly recommend that you apply to the Board before taking the exam so that the amount and quality of your experience may be evaluated.    

Please visit the
 National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) website at for additional information.

Apply for a License ONLINE

Professional Surveyor (PS)

All PS applications are reviewed by the Board Members and licensure is decided during the next Board meeting.  Meetings are held in January, March, May, July, September and November.  

There are two ways to qualify, either through Original or Comity Licensure

Original licensure –

Means "the first PS license" and you take both the Principles & Practice of Surveying (PS) and AR State Specific Exams.  There are two ways to qualify: by education plus experience; OR pure experience.  Again, there are specific education and experience requirements in the Rules, please read carefully.

Qualifications by education plus experience as outlined in Article 8.E.1.a of the Rules:


  1. Graduation from an approved curriculum; and
  2. Completion of two years of experience; and
  3. Passing the FS exam; and
  4. Passing the PS exam; and
  5. Passing the AR State Specific Exam


Qualifications by experience as outlined in Article 8.E.1.b of the Rules:


  1. Completion of six years of experience (as described in D.2 and E.1.a);
  2. Passing the FS exam; and
  3. Passing the PS exam; and
  4. Passing the AR State Specific Exam


Approved applicants will receive PS and State Specific exam fee payment instructions.  For the PS exam, you will be directed to where you will register, log-in, sign-up and pay.  For the State Specific, you'll receive "payment due-to-the-Board" instructions. 

In order to insure that all approved applicants have the opportunity to register with NCEES for the April and October exams, cutoff dates were established.  The cutoff dates are January 1 for the April exams, and July 1 for the October exam.  Applicants should take note that all documentation must be received by the cutoff date.  Applications completed after this date will be held for the next exam administration.

PS exam results will be emailed by NCEES, AR State Specific results will be emailed by the Board.  An examinee that passes both exams will be given a license number.  Those that fail the PS exam may be re-admitted to two (2) subsequent exams upon payment of the exam fee to NCEES.  Applicants who fail three (3) times or do not pass within 5 years after the date the application is approved must submit a new application.  

Comity licensure –

Means the applicant is already licensed in another jurisdiction and seeks licensure based on that license.   

Qualifications as outlined in Article 8.E.2 of the Rules:

  1. Supply proof that you are a PS in good standing in another state or jurisdiction; and
  2. Meet the requirements for original PS licensure in Arkansas’ which were in effect at the time you received your initial PS license.  A summary of Comity Professional Surveyor's Rules – 1967 to present is located on the ”Rules/Regs/Standards” link at the top of the page; and
  3. Pass the FS exam; and
  4. Pass the PS exam; and
  5. Pass the Arkansas State Specific Exam.

There are allowances regarding when you took the PS exam and when you earned your experience and also about waiving the FS exam.

If approved the State Specific Exam may be taken in the Boards' office, at a convenient time other than the April or October administration dates. All arrangements for the must be made with them.  Exam results take about 6 - 8 weeks and will be emailed to you.  An applicant that passes the exam will be given a license number.   

Apply for a License ONLINE, downloadable instructions for Online Application.

Certificate of Authorization

The Certificate of Authorization (COA) is issued to a firm and is necessary in order to provide or offer to provide surveying services through a firm (see Article 21 of the Board's Rules).  The requirements to obtain a COA are straightforward:


  1. Provide basic information about the firm; and
  2. Designate an individual who is licensed in this state as being responsible for the firm’s surveying activities. 


The rules also provide that only firms holding a COA are authorized to use the terms “Survey” or “Surveying” or any other form of those words in their title.  If you have questions about this requirement, you are encouraged to call the Board's office at 501-682-2824.

Apply for a License ONLINE